Saturday, January 31, 2015

Wall Quilts

I was asked if I would make a wallhanging quilt for a raffle at the guild retreat. I agreed then realized that I rarely make wall quilts. I make little doll quilts or quilts that are at least throw-sized. So, I have been thinking about what I might make for the guild and some wall quilt-sized UFOs in the studio.




I thought putting these bright little log cabins on the design wall might inspire an idea. These are 6-inch blocks from a block exchange long ago. I always intended to make more-enough for a bed quilt ... but since that hasn't happened, I am thinking they might become that raffle quilt.

The other project I pulled out of a bin of UFOs is this set of redwork squares and some fabrics put aside to use with them.




This one will stay with me, but I am thinking it might be time to put it together. The January lotto block has inspired a new setting idea and a plan to make some scrappy double 9-patch blocks on this snowy, overcast day.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

Gail in Vegas said...

I vote for the bright log cabins. When we did that lotto I did not win but liked them so much that I made a little wall hanging and still enjoy it every day.

Anonymous said...

I love both of those projects! The colors of the log cabins are so cheerful, and it would be a happy giveaway. The redwork cats are just darling and, with the 9-Patch setting, that would be a great quilt to hang anywhere.

Terri said...

Those are yummy logs, Sophie. I don't know how you can resist them. Being 6" blocks it would be a small piece when finished... like a table topper, or lap quilt? Anyway, I vote for the log cabin, too.
Hugs

Sewing Up A Storm said...

I did quite a few swaps for the brite logs years ago and made a twin sized quilt for my daughter. Since you only have a few have you considered using them as a border treatment, might work if you have a bright center. In any case they are really pretty and I will look forward to seeing what you do with them.

joe tulips said...

Sitting here on the couch. Okay, laying here on the couch. Anyway, I love the cabin blocks. Makes me want to come over and play. I want to throw some other block in with them. Something with a yellow background. The red work will be gorgeous.

Mystic Quilter said...

Hope you go with the bright Log Cabins blocks, they are delightful, I would certainly be buying raffle tickets is I saw this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...