Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Calming, Meditative Quality of Handwork

Stitching Down the BindingI planned to spend this afternoon in the studio. I knew I would come back from the quilt show full of inspiration and would be itching to quilt.

After I had followed up on some lovely blog comments and email messages, I felt torn about what to do next: play with the pressure foot and rulers I bought at the show to do ruler work? Baste the big broken dishes rainbow scrap quilt and start quilting it (with threads acquired for that purpose at the show)?  Finish the thread work cat? Something else?  Something New? Make more January blocks for the Block Lotto? Make the February blocks and get the pattern written for the sneak peek next week?

I decided to retreat to the den, pull out the flannel zig-zag quilt, stitch down a bit more of the binding and think about it.

I made more progress toward finishing this old UFO and I came downstairs feeling more centered and equipped with a plan for my afternoon.  Since any progress is progress, I'm joining the WIPs be Gone list on a Quilting Reader's Garden.

Kathy asked for a show of hands for Slow Sunday Stitching today ... here's mine, wearing the tailor's thimble which is my choice for hand sewing. I will return to this binding later today ... the end is in sight and I'd love to be putting this snuggly quilt on the bed soon.

7 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

A beautiful photo! Hand stitching is the perfect way to relax while thinking through a decision... and make some progress on a quilt!

Angie in SoCal said...

Sophie said,"...I came downstairs feeling more centered and equipped with a plan for my afternoon. Since any progress is progress..." Well said, Sophie - just what I'm trying to do with WIPs Be Gone. Thanks for linking this week. I admire your hand photo - I can't do it without a tripod -lol. I'm gonna have to buy one.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have been learning to enjoy the hand stitching part. In fact I have been learning to slow a lot of things and enjoy them! glen

Jo said...

Oh wow you have so much planned or should I say. Need to be done. Good luck

Terri said...

Nice "show of hands". Love the quilting you are doing.
Hugs

CathieJ said...

You are so right, any progress is just that....progress. Now with that in mind it is time for me to do some stitching today.

Anonymous said...

Good to have choices. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...