Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Something Old, Something New

Throw the DiceI've been making blocks for a new project using an idea I've had almost as long as I've been quilting.

It's one of those What if questions.  What if I made log cabin blocks with a random number of colored logs with a random placement ... determined by a throw of the dice.

I used the pattern for the rectangular log cabin variation we made for the Block Lotto last year, called Steps (you can find the block pattern on the Free Block Patterns Page.) The blocks are 6 by 9 inches (finished size).

I need to make more blocks before I decide if I can work with the result, but here are the first sixteen, parked on the design wall.

Some New Blocks

That's what's in-progress for me this Wednesday.

I'll be joining the WIP-Wednesday list on Freshly Pieced later today. What have you been up to? Starting something new or racing to finish an existing project? 

6 comments:

Cathy said...

What a concept! And rather dicey...

Sewing Up A Storm said...

Great idea. I really love improv quilts.

Rebecca said...

I sort of played that game the first time 14 years ago when I made a sudko quilt (before I saw them on line) using colors instead of numbers and in the same quilt used 9 different quilting motifs ( star, sun, house ect) in a different sudko pattern in the same quilt.

Kathryn said...

You have a great imagination to think of such a quilt! thanks for showing it.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I too love improv quilts, and yours is starting to look great! L

Anonymous said...

The dice threw an interesting design element into that, didn't it! I like your greenish main color.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...