Saturday, May 03, 2014

It's Easy To Be Green (and Scrappy)

Scrappy Green Oak LeafWith apologies to Kermit the Frog, in my sewing space, it IS easy to be green.

If I walk into a quilt shop without a plan, I will inevitably walk out with something green, so green fabrics are plentiful in my stash and the bin holding green scraps is usually the most full.

Last night, I made this 10 by 15-inch oak leaf block, using ten different 3 1/2-inch squares cut from green scraps and an 11th green fabric for the stem.

If you are curious, you can find my Oak Leaf block pattern, with scrappy and non-scrappy versions in multiple sizes here:

Oak Leaf Block in 6 Sizes

You can also find it linked on the Free Quilt Block Patterns Page as part of the 2013 Lotto Blocks.

Here's how it looks in the company of the Oak Leaves previously made for the Rainbow Scraps Challenge.

I think the green leaf block is really the only one made from colors you might actually see in an oak leaf ... but I love how they all look together.

Five Oak Leaf Blocks

All the green broken dishes blocks
Since I finished making all 21 of the scrappy green broken dishes blocks I need with the addition of March's teals, I won't be making more of these this month.

I plan to add to the growing stack of paper pieced Briar Patch blocks and, to make the most of my green scraps, to make some progress on some other green in-progress projects in May.

3 comments:

scraphappy said...

Even if the other blocks aren't in traditional leaf colors, they do make such a pretty collection.

Nell's Quilts said...

Agreed. The oak leaves are wonderful in every colour way.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful scrappy blocks - all of them. Of course, the greens are my favorites!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...