Tuesday, March 04, 2014

What Can't Go on a Pizza?

Last weekend, I felt like pizza, but didn't want to go out in the cold rain.  I had ingredients in the pantry for making crust, but none of the usual toppings–I really need to shop for groceries soon.

That's how this very green pizza happened.



It has pesto, a couple of mushrooms and lots of sliced up Brussels sprouts and green onions.  I had just starting to grate some Parmesan cheese on top before I popped it in the over when I took this photo.  I confess that I was so hungry when it came out again, that I gobbled it up, sans photo.

I didn't know if it was even going to turn out to be edible, but it was surprisingly OK.  It got me thinking about other unexpected things one might put on a pizza.   Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Elaine M said...

So many veggies go with a cheese sauce, that it makes sense they end up on a pizza. I made grilled broccoli and cheese sandwiches for lunch.

Tammy said...

My most favorite pizza I have ever eaten. Was from Al's pizza in Jacksonville Beach Florida. It is a BLT pizza.. Crust cooked with cheese melted then afterwards mayonnaise on it topped by shredded lettuce then tomatoe slices then cooked bacon crumbled over it . Absolutely divine.

Kathryn said...

I like the Dutch pizzas with arugula on top.

Bridget said...

I have made a shaved asparagus pizza that is the bomb! Shaving the asparagus, though, is definitely a Zen experience.

Barbara said...

I used to get a pizza that had artichoke hearts, green olives and sun dried tomatoes. So yummy.

roccagal said...

I make a wonderful pizza with a light coating of xtra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and i add very thinly sliced zucchini,season with dried mint and more garlic,s&p and then add either parmesan goat cheese or asiago!
really tasty!
-we also make a white pizza with olive oil onions S&p and just fresh or dried rosemary with a lite sprinke of parmesan-cook it until its crunchy! Yummo!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

That looks good even before going into the oven. I bet it was yummy.

Millie said...

Sliced almonds. I kid you not. They add a lovely crunch. I also like broccoli on my pizza, and capers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...