Saturday, January 04, 2014

Words, Challenges and Resolutions

I confess that I'm not one for making resolutions or long lists and schedules of quilt projects.  That's not to say I don't think about the quilts I'd like to finish (or start). Or that I don't take the opportunity each year to reflect, look back and forward.

I do like the practice of choosing a word, a touchstone that reflects intention. On the 15 Minutes of Play blog, we're making little quilts to express that word.  This is the one I made yesterday.


I recently received a spool of some shiny Madeira rayon thread from Frieda Anderson as part of a giveaway on her site.  Thanks again, Frieda!  It seemed the perfect choice for the spirals, petals and loopy squiggles I doodled over the pink background of made fabric. I then added some white leafy vines in the black and white fabrics.


Look closely and you might see my first failed attempt at piecing "dare" which was later added as part of the background.  That's why I called this little 15 inch square quilt, Double Dare.

Why dare?  The free dictionary website provides this definition:

dare (dɛə)
vb
1. (tr) to challenge (a person to do something) as proof of courage
2. (can take an infinitive with or without to) to be courageous enough to try (to do something): she dares to dress differently from the others; you wouldn't dare!.
3. (tr) to oppose without fear; defy
4. I dare say I daresay
a. (it is) quite possible (that)
b. probably: used as sentence substitute
n
5. a challenge to do something as proof of courage
6. something done in response to such a challenge

[Old English durran; related to Old High German turran to venture]

In some ways, I am still very much a quilting scaredy cat.  I hope this little quilt reminds me to challenge myself to be courageous in quilting and in life, to push myself to enter quilts in shows–something I have not yet done–and to put myself out there and face possible rejection in other ways. 

I asked the Block Lotto community to blog about quilting goals.  This is my post for the link party there. 

I am also joining Leah's FMQ project link up

4 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I did not notice the failed attempt until you pointed it out. Brilliant way to turn around something that was your first attempt. I need to learn that technique!

Unknown said...

I saw the first photo and thought "How clever, to split the word in half!" So there you go. It's not a mistake, it's a clever piecing job! I also think this is a great way to encourage yourself. Some key words, switch them out in your studio...HEY! Look at all you can do!

Barbara said...

This turned out very cute. Sounds like you're ready to take some risks.

Leah said...

What a powerful message! I love this quilt. It's a reminder that fearlessness is also the most beautiful thing in the world.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...