Friday, August 02, 2013

August Goal for A Lovely Finish

I've been going back and forth (and back and forth) in my mind when thinking about what project I'd like to focus upon for a Lovely Finish in August.  I recently came across a very old workshop project (a flower wall-hanging) that was calling my name, but ultimately the siren's song from my design wall insisted I choose to do something with these over-sized, crumb-pieced flying geese blocks that I have been making as my Daily Feather project for the past week and a half.

All the Crumb-pieced Flying Geese

I have been STARTING lots of possible quilts as part of my effort to make 365 "feathers" and I think it will be good to see more of them become finished and put into use.

Red Crumb SquareThe flying geese were mad using the 4-at-once, no-waste method. You can find directions for that in my Flying Geese Tip Sheet on the Tips, Tutorials and Projects page.

I started by making a 13 1/4 inch square from all the often-too-small scraps from one of my sorted-by-color bins. I added four 6 7/8 inch black squares to make four flying geese that will finish at 6 by 12 inches.

I love working with scraps and almost always start there when making blocks for the Block Lotto or my own projects, but it was becoming harder and harder to find scraps that were large enough.  After making all these geese, I can really see what's left ... I may have to make a quilt from all the "uglies" next :-)

In Black & WhiteEven though these blocks seem to be all about color, as I have been arranging and rearranging them all the design wall, I thought it would be interesting to look at them in terms of value. This is the same photo as above, converted to black and white.

I'm not sure if this view will inform my layout decisions, but it's interesting.

I'm joining the goal setting party for #aLYoF and also the Weekend Update on the Block Lotto.

There's an Amish quilt exhibition at the Folk Art Museum that I want to check out this weekend–maybe I'll be inspired and a decision about what to do with these blocks will be made. (clearly wishful thinking)

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Oh, how interesting to see the black and white photo showing value. Definitely would be fun to play around with that idea.

Brenda said...

ooooh, that reminds me that I have a set of flying geese somewhere I need to use.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...