Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The FMQ Learning Curve

FMQ with the Singer 301My free motion quilting skills really began to improve when I decided that I would allow myself a hundred hours of practice with my Bernina before I let my self critic  (or anyone else) check in and tell me what was wrong with it.

I reminded myself of that attitude, when I decided to use my Singer 301 for quilting the Tea Towel challenge quilt and found myself feeling like I was at the beginning of the FMQ learning curve again.

I am learning the rhythm of the machine and establishing hand-needle coordination. The feel of the foot pedal is different; my control there is improving, too. I missed having a needle-down setting ... but I'm getting pretty good and being able to stop the machine with the needle down.
Still Quilting
These photos show some of the good, bad and just plain ugly as I travel up the FMQ learning curve again.

This quilt was created for fun; it's not likely it will ever leave my house.  Allowing myself to learn to FMQ on the 301 has freed me to learn and play and try new things and develop a new skill along the way, with the expectation that this quilt will be (perfectly) imperfect, but when I'm finished quilting it I will be much more comfortable with FMQ on this old machine.

The photos also show the slant shank darning/free motion foot  I bought to use on the Singer 301.  I have no connection with Sew Classic–I'm just a happy customer (I also bought a walking foot and 1/4 inch foot for this machine, too).

This is my project for WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and I'll be working on it Friday for the Friday Night Sew In.

9 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Well; what I see looks just wonderful!!

Linda in Calif. said...

From here it looks like you are doing a great job. I like that foot too. It looks like it would be a dream to use. I've often wondered about using my older machine to FMQ. Nice to know that there will be a learning curve.

Candace said...

It looks good to me and I admire your determination. I am still plodding along with my FMQ'ing. I was wondering too, how you like your 301. I have been wanting one and am thinking of splurging when income tax comes in. All in all, do you like yours. I've heard good things about them.

Angie in SoCal said...

I'm happy to report I couldn't see any ugly fmq in your photos. You're doing beautifully.

Esther Aliu said...

What a great attitude! And I agree, take time to practice before letting anyone give you advice, you have to have a feel for what you're doing and your own style before you can 'improve' anyhow. Looking great!

Kitchener Quilter said...

I like your 100 hour time frame, for me it's four quilts before judgement time! Although I feel the judgement on the second quilt. . . sigh. Your fmq looks pretty good to me, though.

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Oooh I love the way this is coming along...and your free motion quilting looks great! ;)

Valspierssews said...

Your FAQ looks great. The project looks interesting.

woolywoman said...

Excellent attitude. People worry too much about being perfect right away. I think your FMQ came out perfectly nice, particularly considering you changed machines.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...