Monday, November 12, 2012

On the Re-Bound

Lately I have been working on projects OFF the design wall ... and doing things which often feel more like UNdoing rather than doing.

sewing down new faux-piped bindingIn addition to ripping out the failed attempt to long arm on a 40's inspired sampler quilt, this weekend, I replaced the binding on an old quilt–my album quilt made from the group of block choices for the Block Lotto in it's first year in 2002. 

I used the faux-piped binding technique where the binding strips are made from two fabrics, one slightly wider to form the piped illusion. There is a good how-to tutorial here: Suzie's Magic Binding. Black and white quilts are challenging to photograph. I had planned to take mine onto the roof deck and throw it over the wall in the sunlight ... but mother nature had other plans and it was just too windy for anything except this shot ... and cold enough that climbing under that quilt to warm up had definite appeal.

  Perfect for a cold but sunny day


Detail of new binding

Here is a close-up of the finished binding–sewn down by machine on right side of the quilt and, below a photo of the quilt showing all the blocks.

All the blocks are identified, with links to Marcia Hohn's patterns on the Quilter's Cache site and to the photos of the lotto blocks made from them on the Block Lotto site in the 2002 Lotto Block Index.




Block Lotto Sampler 2002

This quilt was finished in early 2003.  It's 58 x 72 inches and has been a well used throw.  The old sampler is holding up pretty well.

To see what others are working on, on and off the design wall, check out the links on Judy's Design Wall Monday blog post.

5 comments:

lj_cox said...

That's a great quilt, and I love that tiny touch of red in the faux piping. Have to add that to my ideas file; I don't care for regular piping because it's loose, but that little line of color makes an elegant finish.

Kathryn said...

I just finished up a black/white/touch of red quilt for a step daughter. I can't wait to get it back from the long-armer to get it bound for Christmas. It's a timeless combination. Thanks for showing yours off. Kathie L in Allentown

Judy Hansen said...

Thanks for blogging about the faux piping. I have stored that idea in my head to use on a future quilt. On second thought, I'd better write it down too - so I don't forget! I like the red bowtie in all the black and white. Good job!

Nellie's Needles said...

Your new binding works great ... that one bit of red looks "lonely" in the original picture.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

But it looks very new. I love that one touch of red. Lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...