Monday, June 13, 2011

What IF . . .

When assembling and quilting those pink pieces, I asked myself that dangerous question, what if . . .

What if I assembled the back of the pillow cover, sewing in the zipper BEFORE I quilted it?

Pillow front and back

I've quilted the back with some flower designs from stencils (the yellow chalked desisngs), filling with a couple of filler designs (inspired by Leah Day) and avoiding the zipper area.

Detail of Pillow Back QuiltingMy plan is to unzip the zipper, slit the batting and backing and finish the cut edges with bias strips.

Probably there's a better way to do this . . . and I'm sure someone will leave a comment so I'll know better the next time.  I probably could have done some research on the "right way" to insert a zipper into a quilted fabric, but I couldn't resist just running with the what if that was in my head. 

Before I take the next steps and see if my crazy idea will work, I plan to quilt the front and add all those pink yo-yos.

To see more work in progress (and maybe a few other crazy ideas), check out the Design Wall Monday links on Judy's blog, The Patchwork times. 

3 comments:

lj_cox said...

I dunno, that sounds like a neat, tidy, and simple way to handle it. Good idea!

Suze said...

couldn't you just sew one side of the the zipper to the bottom of the back and the other side to the bottom of the front before you stitch the rest of the way around (make sure you OPEN the zipper before doing the other three sides..)

sophie said...

The challenge is sewing through the thicknesses of quilted fabric+batting+backing. A few years ago, I made a carry-on size bag with a zipper and ended up needing a commercial upholstery machine to sew the seam that forms the flap over the zipper because it was all too thick for my machine to handle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...