Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Hail, Columbus

I had to smile when I saw Debra's photos and description of the fabulous destination hotel where she spent last weekend. I definitely went in a different direction for my trip to the NQA show in Columbus, Ohio. I found this Bed & Breakfast in the Short North neighborhood a few blocks walk from the convention center and decided it was perfect for me.

Short North Bed & Breakfast

The Short North neighborhood was a delight. It claims to be the Art and Soul of Columbus--easy to believe as you walk past galleries, interesting restaurants and lots of art. There are several murals besides Mona. This one reminded me of the Art Image Challenge and all those takes on American Gothic by Grant Wood.

Mural on East Lincoln Street

Here's another mural, next to a parking lot. I loved the contrast of modern vehicles parked in front of the ancient scene.

Mural on High Street

I encountered a couple interesting sculptures, as well.

Up To Our Ears in Art In Dreams Again Detail from In Dreams Again

From the left, Up To Our Ears In Art, In Dreams Again and Detail from In Dreams Again. Both pieces are dedicated to the artists of Short North.

On the edge of Short North and only a block from the NQA show at the Convention Center is North Market--a wonderful, colorful produce and food market. It was the perfect lunch destination.

North Market Inside North Market

I wasn't able to do it all while I was there--I missed out on the Art Fair and the Yarn show and didn't make it to the show connected with QSDS, but I thoroughly enjoyed my long weekend in Columbus and the classes and quilts at NQA 2007.

1 comment:

Walker Evans said...

Yay for Columbus! Hope you come back soon! ;)

...
Walker
ColumbusUnderground.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...